September 28, 2013

My Good Brain is Under This Bad Hair

Click Albert to Read Him

   I adore a good, profound quote. Until I manage to occasionally formulate a cohesive sentence of my own, I get them from other people. Albert Einstein bakes up a good phrase, and I like to use his because he was obviously at least as crazy as I am, as evidenced by his hair. (You can spot a good crazy genius by the volume of his bad hair.) Also, his teachers were of the opinion that he was not very bright, and I think we can all agree that he proved them a little shortsighted.

   This very fact leads us to a wise observation that some people attribute to him: "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."


   I don't believe in judging a fish, even by its swimming prowess. Maybe it is more of a philosopher, with no time for such inane activity. Maybe it has shin splints, and has never received proper veterinary care. Who am I to say that this fish has any less potential for greatness than the one in the tank next to his?


   After attending parent/teacher conferences this week, I am struck again by what mad little geniuses we all are. I had great fun, as well as moments of mild anxiety, as I discussed my children with their teachers. It has led me to reflect, in a rare moment of... well, reflection. A vast vocabulary is apparently not one of my strengths. But, coming up with the perfect transition to the next paragraph IS my forte...


I combed my hair. I'm kind of amazing.
(Note the broken outlet. Nobody's perfect.)
   Nobody excels at everything. Except maybe Jodie Foster. Ivy League education, Oscars, surviving childhood stardom with nary a twerking episode... She is a obviously a genetic abnormality. For us mere mortals, we have to find our niches and work hard to shine in one or two of them. Like Ms. Foster, I have done well at twerking avoidance. It's a gift. That is where our similarities end.

   So, I am on a mission to appreciate my own awesomeness, as well as that of those around me. Like Albert, I possess spectacularly bad hair. That is surely a sign that what lies under it also bears resemblance to his brain. If not, well... I excel at making YOUR hair look good. You're welcome. And, you're awesome.