July 21, 2013

In Which A Depressed Housewife Victoriously Arises, and Medals in Olympic Time Budgeting

   The family made it to church on time today, according to the clock on the meetinghouse wall. By official time, as beamed to my cell phone via official satellite, we were officially a smidge late. I suspect a fellow member, attempting to tweak embarrassing statistics on attendee punctuality, has moved the hands back a few minutes. I would like to shake this member's hand, if only we could have caught him/her in this charitable act, and determined his/her identity. Unfortunately, we were all late the day he/she did it. Anyway, our whole congregation is now on Basic Mormon Standard Time, or Basic MST. Not to be confused with MST 3000, which is a hilarious show, but not as funny as the idea of a bunch of Mormons being on time.
   Now, the fact that I awoke at a reasonable hour, and budgeted the following hours, well enough to make the 10:30 call is impressive enough. I have three children, a husband, a dog, and two cats. We do not have one complete attention span between the eight of us. We cannot competently prepare ourselves for a trip to the mailbox, much less a religious service that begs a tad more decorum. Complicating matters, my husband is often gone for work as an ER Nurse. Injuries, illness, and drunken brawls have no respect for the Sabbath. The Happy Valley law against selling liquor on Sunday has always been a source of contention, but perhaps not as much contention as the actual liquor sold on Sunday. Or on Monday. Or the fireworks sold on Tuesday or the axes on Wednesday. People need my husband. So, Sunday or Friday, church or school play, I am often attempting to run the show myself, and nobody less capable has ever filled the Cruise Director slot.
   In other Sunday news:  Did you know the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings a rendition of  "Born Free"? Neither did I. Their repertoire is actually quite amazing, as it turns out. That's my review/recommendation of the day.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment